Good Morning

So, at our 6am CrossFit class, I am known/made fun of for two things--1) being short and 2) My, shall we say, less than cheerful attitude during the first 5-10 minutes of class (#6amdeathstarepro). Every morning there is a certain member who makes it his mission to give me the cheeriest possible "Good morning, Cristin!" (Sometimes I wonder if he wants to see how close to death he can get. J/K) Most mornings he is given an evil glare. Today however, I responded with a very bitter-- "It is NOT a good morning."

And for that I have to apologize.

Some of you know that life has not been the easiest for me lately; in fact, it has felt downright HARD! Yesterday was the worst.

Here's what I realized this morning.

Having a hard time does not give me the right to say that it is a "bad day".

Yes, my life is not cheery right now, BUT it IS good! God gave me another day to live and give Him praise. He gave me another day to try to make a difference in someone's life--a positive difference. I'm not going to do that if I stay in a "woe is me" attitude.

So, here is the real irony. This summer I'm taking Crisis and Trauma Counseling as part of my graduate studies. In less than a week I have a paper due on Suffering--specifically, how can God be good if there is so much suffering an evil, and what is the point of suffering? Here I am, in the midst of a (minor) crisis, asking God, "Why are you letting this happen?" I'm shaking my fist, looking for relief, because--let's face it--none of us likes pain or suffering.

One of the most fascinating things I learned last night in class was that depression, grief, and fear are some of the emotional states at which our brain is operating at lowest efficiency. Studies have shown that the most efficient brains are operating when we are experiencing joy and love within attachment and that leads to self-control. But we have to choose joy. I recall to mind passages like 1 Peter 1, and James 1:2. Galatians 5:22-23 is best known as the Fruits of the Spirit passage--starts with love and joy and ends in self-control. They build on each other to allow peace. If we are at peace why would we not be patient, kind, good, faithful, and gentle--and all of this is summed up in self-control. Neurology is consistent with this as well (which is another post for another time, perhaps.)

So ultimately, suffering is not good or bad--it leads to growth (same with that front squat at 90% or any other lift that is heavy and hard). Suffering, difficulties, hard times are not bad. Good or bad is what we make of it--whether or not we choose joy in the midst of it all.

So yes, it IS a good morning!!!
Psalm 100
Make a joyful noise to the Lord, all the earth!    Serve the Lord with gladness!    Come into his presence with singing!Know that the Lord, he is God!    It is he who made us, and we are his;[a]    we are his people, and the sheep of his pasture.Enter his gates with thanksgiving,    and his courts with praise!    Give thanks to him; bless his name!For the Lord is good;    his steadfast love endures forever,    and his faithfulness to all generations. 

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts