One Year

One year ago today, I was up at 4:30am and had packed my life pretty much into two suitcases and a backpack (I had a couple of small boxes shipped down later) to go to the airport and move to the small town of Jarabacoa in the Dominican Republic. Now that I am here at a year, it feels like time flew so quickly, but there were definitely moments when it felt so slow. There were plenty of moments of discouragement and homesickness and those tended to contribute to the lethargic pace of time. There were also moments of adventure--climbing waterfalls, visiting beaches, learning to ride a moto, and learning to drive stick shift (to name a few). In between there were plenty of moments of mundane ordinary living--game nights, movie marathons, late night conversations (way past even the traditions of my undergraduate college career! 😳) Through it all, I have been challenged in every way including spiritually and in my career. Moving down here was a lesson in adventure and trust, but each day here there is something more to learn about letting go of my fears and concerns and going on an adventure.

Now, a little bit of an update on the past couple of months here.

Helping out on a house we are building
I intended to write a post earlier and put it off as I was waiting on the adventure of Paradise Island so that I could include pictures. Sad to say, there are no Paradise Island pictures because it would have been pure insanity to pull my phone out to try to take pictures. Paradise "Island" is a very shallow spit of sand out int he middle of the ocean to which you can arrive via boat, rent snorkel equipment, and see lots of fish. It was a lot of fun, and a bit scary as I had one encounter with a jellyfish as it slowly floated into view of my goggles...right in front of my goggles (number one fear of mine swimming in the ocean is getting stung by a jellyfish). Needless to say, my roommate and fellow co-worker laughed as she heard my scream through my snorkel.

Deivi--one of our drivers--suggested
I get fish at Paradise Island.
It was very yummy!
On the student side of things, I have officially reached a point where my first generation of students have all left. One graduated, and the rest have been pulled from the program early. We have a low consensus at the moment, which means I have two new students, and I am very excited about the direction that we are going in counseling.

Our new baby kitty! Lupine (LuLu)
On top of counseling, I had one student ask me to be her mentor. This means we get to spend a couple of hours each week just her and I where I try to pour into her life. It's kinda like counseling, but more relaxed and no paperwork! We spend our time in the gym usually and then just talking about life. Sadly, she will be leaving the program soon as well, through no fault of her own.

Anniversary breakfast at Jamaca De Dios
On a different note, I have been fortunate and blessed and made the decision to purchase a bright yellow Jeep. I had to learn to drive stick shift, but I picked that up very quickly. I love my Jeep! Also, as it has started it's habit of raining in the afternoon, it's nice to have a covered vehicle that we can take into town to go grocery shopping.

Thank you all for being on this wonderful adventure with me--supporting me through prayer (which is desperately needed) and financially. It's because of your support that I am able to invest in these students lives and try to point them towards a better life and a life with Jesus.

Grace and peace to you until we meet again!

Cristin
~*~


View from Jamaca de Dios




Comments

Popular Posts