Self Care vs. Soul Care

Two-ish weeks ago I returned from a trip to the States. I say "trip" and not "vacation" because while it was a break from work, and it was great to see people, I was exhausted. I am an introvert, see, and I like having alone time; alone time helps my self be healthy. I am so glad I got to see the people that I did and I wouldn't go back and change anything. As I returned to CMA and drove right back into the craziness, I began to contemplate this idea of self-care.

Perhaps I should back up a bit--being a therapist, I do a lot to work with people to examine unhealthy and incorrect thinking patterns and beliefs. These thinking patterns and beliefs are often rooted in lies. Combine that with a history of studying worldview and debate (thank you Mother!), I frequently see things posted on social media that I disagree with and are, in fact, subtle (or not so subtle), lies. Things focused on self. Which got me to thinking and writing down the following thoughts:

There has been a bigger push now more than ever on self-care. especially working in the mental health and ministry fields, there is a push to making sure we have healthy "boundaries," and work-life balance; good "coping skills." But I've been thinking recently--is self-care really biblical? I don't know about you, but I don't remember where it says, "thou shalt take a bubble bath, for then shalt thou be refreshed and able to continue on." 

What I do find are commands to not become weary of doing the good that the Spirit has called us to do (Galatians 6:6-10). Rejoice in suffering and endure for that is how we grow (Romans 5:3-5). Paul details his wrestling with a thorn in his flesh--some struggle whether it be a sin or unfortunate circumstance--that he would like removed and God reminds him that it is through his weakness that God's glory and strength are revealed. 

So, my brothers and sisters, I ask this: What if in the attempt to make ourselves strong, or whole, we are robbing ourselves of the chance to see God work in ways we wouldn't see Him work unless we were out of our own strength?

Now, before I go on, I want to clarify that I am not advocating working yourself into the ground in your ministry; there is a biblical principle for rest and balance. God worked six days and rested on the seventh. Not because He had to but because He wanted to set a precedence and, last I checked, none of us was an all-powerful god who created the universe. Because of this, we need rest. 

Even as I write that, I feel like I'm sounding contradictory to all that I wrote prior. Let me propose this--self care (in the way it is traditionally thought of) is not rest. 

I've heard self-care described as doing something which gives you energy. My friends, brothers and sisters in the faith, why do we turn to things that are not God to try to find renewal of energy when God is our Source and Comfort?! Yes, go to the gym, eat healthy, work to expand your knowledge and reading, especially so that we can be prepared to defend the faith, but when you need rest and "self care," all of the afore mentioned things are not necessarily rest. 

Let me propose something else instead for when we need rest and rejuvenation--soul care. When we are feeling overwhelmed and burned out, don't say you need the gym or that pint of ice cream (guilty) or that girls/guys night out (although if the purpose is to encourage and exhort biblically, that may be helpful). Matthew 11:28-30 says, "Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light."

Ironically enough, I write all of this as I sit beach-side at a hotel. "Self-care" some would call it. For me, it has become a catalyst for the separation I need to refocus on God, for I find I am most weary when I try to live in my own strength and power and am more in need of soul care than anything else. 

If you have made it to the end of this lengthy post, thank you for bearing with me. I contemplated whether or not to post this, because I do not want to be dismissive of things that are fun, bring us happiness, and some peace. Rather, I want to challenge that we should be chasing after God first and foremost and making sure that our hearts are in the right place. Being open and transparent, I write this the day after a mental breakdown in which I felt like I could just not do the day. I am desperately in need of rest myself, and am searching after what will help bring me true rest in Christ. 

Todo a la gloria a Dios!
(All glory to God!)

Comments

Popular Posts